Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Pain in the....Foot! (part 2)

We got up at 3:45 a.m. today to head to the bigger city for Kayla's foot surgery. Let me tell you, I felt like I rolled over a few times and it was time to get up! Ugg! We got there by 5:30 a.m. They took Kayla away for awhile and then called us before she went in to surgery. We sat around for about 45 minutes waiting and watching TV in her Day Surgery room. I signed my initials near her left foot and so did the doctor....so he would operate on the correct foot.

Kayla BEFORE surgery:


They then took her into surgery and we, (Kim, Ed & Kelsey) went to the cafeteria for breakfast. We came back, sat down and the doctor came out. He informed us he cut out the wart...it was 1/2 inch deep and he also cauterized it. We then went back to the waiting room to wait until she was out of recovery. Before you know it a nurse, a man in maybe his 50s, was calling out for "Kim and Ann"...kind of loud..."Kim and Ann" "Kim and Ann". Ed and I looked at each other kind of funny....I wonder if he means "Kim and Ed"? Sure enough he did. We guessed he asked Kayla what our names were and being out of it that's what he heard "Kim and Ann". So funny.

This is what we came back to, Kayla AFTER surgery:


Kayla's foot:


She was quite out of it for a bit...she thought her head was leaking...her eyes were watering. Kelsey was laughing so hard. For the first 48 hours we must ice it every 2 hours for a half hour. She must also elevate it for the first week. She will use a special boot for walking...she will walk on the heel. She uses crutches from her room to the bathroom so she doesn't have to put the boot on all of the time. We were home by 11:00 a.m. and she has been sleeping ever since.

I would like to introduce you to Baby Bop. When Kayla was about two she had a little surgery and Baby Bop went in with her. The nurses put a hospital band around Baby Bop's wrist. Kayla didn't need Baby Bop for support this time for some reason. So she sat alone at home. Poor Baby Bop.


1 comment:

Lori said...

hehehehe I LOVE talking to kids after surgery. They come up with the FUNNIEST things. I am so glad she came out ok. I do hope her head stopped leaking. hehehehe