Monday, August 3, 2009

Courses

I took on a little or maybe a big adventure this summer. Beginning in June I started taking online courses to receive a certificate in Senior Personal Training and Group Exercise for Older Adults. I started with the first two course on June 15. These courses were Socio-Physiological Aspects of Aging and Designing Older Adult Exercise Programs. I have to admit I was quite overwhelmed the first two to three weeks. Taking two classes required 5-10 hours of my time per class per week. I received the weekly work each Monday morning and needed to have the finished work turned in by midnight the following Sunday. I needed to read, watch power points, and do weekly discussion questions. Also, one quiz, a final test and the 100 point final report was do by the last week. At first, it was confusing taking two classes and keeping them straight. I must admit I am not young anymore and don't have as many brain cells as my younger counterparts. But once I figured out a system, get course one work done, then do course two work and then post both by Friday I got more comfortable. I did quite well for the five week class which ended July 19. I must admit taking the timed quiz and final exam for each course was quite nerve wracking. A timer was in the right-hand corner of the computer screen and basically drove me crazy. It was challenging with work, classes, and keeping up the house. Since I was doing this for work I was able to do course work at work with time permitted.

I survived the first two courses and was thinking I should only take one course from July 20 - August 23 since I was a bit overwhelmed. But at the last minute I decided to take the final two courses, Business Management and Administration for the Mature Market and Exercise and Aging for Special Populations. So I am at it again until August 23. So basically my entire summer, ten weeks anyway, has been reading, studying, taking a quiz, final exams and writing reports. But I have to admit the second two courses seem to be going so much easier and smoother than the first two...now that I have a rhythm.

Taking these courses will be an asset to me when working with older adults and the upcoming baby boomers. Since we now some great fitness equipment at the senior center where I work it will give me the opportunity to get out of the office and help these people with some knowledge of chronic diseases and conditions, hip/knee replacements, etc and helping them with their exercise regime. It's a whole different story when older adults exercise than when younger people do. Their are much more things to consider such as medication contradictions, balance and flexibility issues and much more.

So this summer I have been staying close to home, near internet access so I can complete my course work when it is due. No casual reading for me, which I love to do, instead it has been a text book.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Good for you, Kim. That is awesome. So...now they have to pay you more...right??? :)