Monday, November 10, 2008

Stand Up! And Be Strong!

October and November marks the anniversaries of all my grandparents deaths.

Grandma B.-October 25, 1984
Grandpa B.-October 15, 1993
Grandma D.-October 15, 1998
Grandpa D.-November 28, 2007


Working at a senior center, I see death frequently. I always wonder how these men and woman get through it. Loosing a spouse of 50-60 years. I look at them and think: "They just keep going, how do they do it?"

We did a fall prevention program at the senior center last year called "Stand Up! And Be Strong! The idea was to sit down and stand up, and do this exercise about 10x maybe three times a day to increase the strength in the lower body to prevent falling. I think that is the key with loosing a loved one "Stand Up! And Be Strong!" Of course, we may always want to fall - but we get back up - "Stand Up! And Be Strong!" There is always someone there to prevent us from falling--family, friends, ourselves, even our loved one who passed away. "Stand Up, And Be Strong!"... life goes on, the sun still shines. When my Grandma D. died I remember thinking that----the sun still shines.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Losing a Grandparent is tough business. I have 1 Grandparent left. She is my Mom's Mom and I think she is my favorite Grandma. She babysat me while I was growing up so we have a tight bond. Of course I know she won't be here forever, so I'm thankful for every minute I get to spend with her.